The “Employer Commitment Challenge”
As an employer, consider making a commitment to working toward the goal of the “40/30 Challenge” … 40% of our adult population with bachelor’s degrees by 2030.
Conduct a company workforce assessment and your commitment to increasing certificate and degree attainment …
- How many individuals with college degrees or post-secondary certificates are in my company’s workforce?
- What is my goal for increasing certificate and degree attainment among my workforce?
- What is my goal for increasing certificate and degree attainment in the broader community (if applicable)?
Identify at least one concrete way you can contribute to the “40/30 Challenge”. Here are four suggestions for making a difference.
- Help your employees get a college certificate or degree. For example …
- Provide tuition remission.
- Pay for employees who have not graduated from high school to prepare for and take the GED (as a first step toward later post-secondary enrollment).
- Allow flexible schedule for employees who are currently enrolled in a college class.
- Tie educational attainment to career advancements
- Provide career exploration for students.
- Partner with a school or community organization to host students at your business (shadowing).
- Create summer and year-long internships for high school and college students.
- Provide career mentoring for advanced college students nearing graduation.
- Volunteer in a school or with a college success program.
- Tutor a middle school, high school, or college student.
- Partner with a school or an after school program to mentor at-risk students.
- Make it easier for parent employees to support their children in school.
- Create policies that support flexible scheduling parent employees to get kids to school on time, pick them up after school, attend parent-teacher conferences, and volunteer in a classroom.
Submit your commitment using the following template:
- My company will increase certificate and degree attainment by (# or %) by (year).
- My company will contribute to increased certificate and degree attainment in the community by (# or %) by (year).
- We will accomplish these goals by (describe the specific actions you will take both within your place of business and/or in the broader community).
Submit your commitment to Sheryl Booker at sbooker@LearnWithSam.org